Saturday, March 1, 2008

CCIE Attempt #2 Task 1/2

Here I am at the hotel in RTP the night before my second attempt. I arrived early enough to have a nice dinner and talk football with the bar patrons for a bit. To my dismay, the Bears traded Berrian to the Vikings. So now they are down two starting wide receivers, and are about to lose Lance Briggs, with only a 1-year extension for Rex that's-just-Gross-Man to show for it. Not looking to be too promising of a season.

The first task of the lab, that many seem to fail, is getting a good night's sleep the night before. I bombed that miserably at my first attempt. I came down to RTP with my family and my dog. My 7 month old son was still collicky at the time and thought he'd help me study until 4am. Unfortunately I don't understand babytalk so all it meant was that I only got about 2 hours of sleep. I ended up getting to the lab about 15 minutes late. By 6 hours in I was feeling pretty drained and didn't have much motivation to do a detailed 2nd verification of everything.

Due to some misconceptions I had that I realized in later studies, I probably would not have passed anyway. But I'm going to do everything I can to get some solid sleep tonight. I did a test drive to the Cisco campus to make sure I know the way. I have a 6am wakeup call scheduled, my cell phone alarm, and hotel room alarm set for that time as well. So I'm calling my sleep preparations task 1/2. Let's just hope I can follow through.

If you happen to read this, Laura, thanks for all of your support this year. You've allowed me to get a heck of a lot of studying done on the weekends and I really appreciate it.

No comments: