Saturday, March 8, 2008

A new purpose

It has been almost a week since I passed the CCIE lab exam. There were a number of congratulations and a celebratory dinner alone with my wife. Aside from that it has been life as usual. No ticker tape parades. No job offers for obscene amounts of money.

My life has changed already though. It's Saturday and I did not wake up at 6am. I slept in until nearly 11. My wife and son are out of town this weekend, so I have been watching movies and hanging out with my dog. At some point I need to lower my son's crib since he's very close to pulling himself up.

The next change is that I'm finding it difficult not to brag. I called a few friends and sent a few more emails. But most people would probably not know unless they paid attention to my new email signature. I'm not sure if I'll keep it in there long-term, but I will for at least a week or two.

I'm also not sure what to do next. I'm planning on casually studying for the security track. I'm really not in a rush. It took me 10 years to get the first CCIE, so that should be too difficult to improve upon.

One thing I did notice. There are a lot of blogs of people either talking about studying for the CCIE or helping others to get there. But what are you supposed to do after you're certified?

There is no official blueprint for what to do after you're certified.

So, the new purpose of this blog is to discuss what happens next.

No comments: