Friday, July 25, 2008

Goodbye, Randy Pausch

I first learned about Randy's story last fall from one of my professors. The night after I heard, I watched The Last Lecture on Youtube. I've seen quite a few inspirational speakers over the years, and most have a knack for making me feel all pumped up for a few days. But after a week or two I can barely remember any of their lessons.

This is not true with Randy Pausch. I can honestly say his lecture changed my life. I'm going to paraphrase a bit, but two points in particular had a big impact on me:
  • Brick walls aren't there to stop you, they're there to prove how bad you want something
  • You have four categories of tasks: urgent and important, non-urgent and important, urgent and unimportant, and non-urgent and unimportant. Do the non-urgent important tasks before the urgent unimportant ones.
These are two VERY important pieces toward the CCIE. The lab exam is a BIG brick wall. It will make you prove how bad you want it. It is also generally going to be non-urgent and important. If you really want it, study for it before the things that "need" to be done right away but don't really matter.

Thank you Randy, you will be missed.

No comments: