Monday, November 10, 2008

My New MPLS Strategy

Now the other 3 CCIP exams are out of the way and it's time to focus on MPLS. I usually pick up networking technologies pretty easily, but there are a few in the past I have had a hard time with. One of those, in particular, was BGP.

This is one of my favorite responses to one of my groupstudy posts when I was struggling with BGP and another member made a humerous analogy to learning BGP from a book.

I have to agree with that to a certain extent. I was completely clueless on BGP a few years ago, eventhough I read Internet Routing Architectures cover to cover at least twice. It wasn't until I performed enough complex redistribution labs and worked with it in the real world before I got my arms around it.

I now seem to be having the same struggles with MPLS. I have the fundamentals more or less memorized, but I don't really understand the how's and why's of what's going on. I think that is what's keeping me from getting through the MPLS exam.

So rather than continue to brute force the exam, I've decided to pick up the InternetworkExpert Service Provider material. I'm hopeful reviewing their Class on Demand and working through their techonology labs will help to get me up to speed.

No comments: