Monday, March 2, 2009

IE SP Vol 2 Lab 3 Task 6

Ok, this multicast task was a bit rediculous too. Now on the bright side I was pretty much able to nail the config. But when I got down to the test, I was not able to get it to work at all. I went through the solutions guide and primarily found one mistake--that I didn't have the mdt router's loopback interfaces running pim. Even upon fixing this, however, the multicast test still did not work.

-----12 hours later-----

I was really starting to get desperate here, but I FINALLY got everything figured out. It basically boiled down to two things:

1. sparse-mode requires autorp listener for the autorp groups to be able to pass through. Without it, autorp will not function across sparse-mode interfaces.

2. On mVPN, rp's are required for both the main routing instance and the vrf. This was my main mistake. I was missing a static rp on a vrf interface.

So, after a long time of being worried I had no idea what I was doing and that this stuff was way over my head, it turned out to be silly mistakes that did me in.

As with other topics I spent so much time on troubleshooting an issue, I really hope all this time put in helps me the next time I come across mVPN. I'm feeling pretty good about it now, but we'll see how it goes next week.

If multicast contines to be this complex, I may need to draw a mVPN diagram in order to keep all the tunnels and vrf's straight.

No comments: