Thursday, May 21, 2009

IPExpert SP Volume 3 Lab 2

I hope they made lab 2 a little more challenging.

Frame Relay:
No issues

Switching:
No issues

PPP:
Hey, finally something new. I've never created a ppp mlg using a virtual-template before. Pretty straightforward and the media-independent ppp section of the doccd covers it well. Chap, however, is a bit strange. It has to be configured on the serial interfaces and not the mlg.
-4 points on this task since I did chap wrong.

ISIS:
I chose domain-password instead of area-password. Domain-password uses level-2 lsps, while area-password uses level-1 lsps. The task specified area. -2

BGP:
I was fortunate to get the first task right. "New style bgp configuration" means using address families for configuration. Also, to optimize updates, use a peer group. I actually went with a peer session instead of a peer group, because I haven't seen it before. It seems a little more modular than peer groups and separates bgp session commands from bgp update commands.

I did, however, go with graceful-restart instead of fast-external-fallover. I didn't go with the latter because it seemed to be doing the opposite. Turned out that this is turned on by default and I needed to turn it off to meet the task requirements.
-3

IOS Service:
No issues

Security:
I just applied the access-group to the interfaces, but COPP is an interesting solution as well. A method I'll need to keep in mind.

Logging trap is used to set the syslog logging level.
-2

Multicast:
I finally seem to be catching onto multicast. This called for a pretty straightforward anycast implementation. I did get caught up for a little bit on rpf failures, which ended up being due to an unreachable rp. Once it was added to isis almost everything worked fine. One exception is the host router still got rpf failures when attempting to ping its own igmp address. This appeared to be because its own traffic had to go through the RP instead of staying local, and no interfaces could be made the RP for the routers own traffic.

No comments: