Wednesday, June 17, 2009

IPExpert SP Volume 2 Lab 1

Layer 2:
-2 Needed to set dlci to ietf encap as well
-3 Forgot to disable inverse arp

ISIS:
No issues, other than a few attributed to poor wording a proctor would be able to clarify. Not deducting points...

OSPF:
-3 Missed ISIS configuration

BGP:
No issues...

Internet Access:
No issues

MPLS:
-3 Lots of issues dealing with TE tunnels. Wow, just when I think I have these down, they throw a big curve ball at me. So when doing multi-area OSPF, explicit paths can only be set via loose mode.

mBGP:
No issues

L3VPN:
I FINALLY got inter-as vpnv4 multihop to work!!! Yes, it still took me forever. To the point where I had to sleep on it for a bit. But it actually does work! Sleeping on it during the lab may not be possible though...:).

Here's a little checklist. I'll try it out on the next lab to see how it goes:
1. From the CE router, verify a route exists through the PE router
2. At the PE router, verify a bgp vpnv4 route exists, with a next-hop of a remote PE router
3. At the PE router, verify a label exists for the next-hop, either via sh ip bgp labels or sh mpls for
4. If things appear to be configured correctly, clear mpls ldp neigh *, clear ip bgp * soft, or even reload

Multicast and IOS Services:
Reviewed

Ok, for lab 1, this thing sure was tough! On thing I definitely have to say about the IPX labs is you cannot take getting the IGP and MPLS stuff up for granted. The IE labs tended to throw a pretty vanilla IGP config at you and focus the rest at complex vpn scenarios. But IPX throws a lot of curveballs early on, and not only do you have to figure them out, but you have to adapt the VPN configs around them.

If I were to recommend a study approach, I'd probably suggest something like this:
1. IE CoD
2. IE Vol 1
3. IPX Vol 3 Labs 1-4
4. IE Vol 2 Labs 1-5
5. IPX Vol 2
6. IE Vol 2 Labs 6-10, IPX Vol 3 Lab 5

No comments: