Friday, November 20, 2009

And Away We Go

Two down, four to go. I don't know if I'll actually make it through all six, but continuing down the CCIE road still feels like the best road for me to follow. None of the alternatives are very appealing at this time: PhD, MBA, open source development, or CCDE. So I'll keep getting CCIEs until my priorities change.

I think I've learned a lot in the process of getting R&S and SP and can hopefully apply it to Security.

First, I tried to fly through SP way too fast. It still ended up taking about a year to complete. This is covered in rfc 1925: you can't make a baby in much less than 9 months.

Second, I should have begun labbing much sooner. Personally, I NEED experience before I get theory thrown at me. I'm not going to touch the class on demand, books, or written exam before I go through volume 1. Otherwise, the theory is over my head and I end up zoning out for much of it. I do better learning the how's first, and then getting to the why's after the fact.

Third, I need to do full scale labs from both IPX and INE before my first lab attempt. Last time I tried to just use INE first, and I had a lot of gaps going into my first attempt.

That being said, my rough schedule is something like this:
November 09 - March 10: INE Vol 1
April - May: Written
May - June: INE Vol 2
July - August: IPX Vol 2
September: Lab Attempt #1

3 comments:

Viki said...

Hello Ed,

All the best for your next Milestone.

Regards,
Vignesh

Ahenning said...

Good luck with Sec, I would have gone with the Phd though and even more so since you are so close.

Again, all the best with #3

Michael said...

You are a monster, GODSPEED! I cant wait to follow another journey of yours.